Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Homemade Oreo Hearts.


Valentine's Day is finally tomorrow! : )
Here is my last post on Valentine's Day cookies. My friend was organizing a bake sale at her church and I volunteered to donate a dozen cookies. After much debate on what to bake, I decided to make heart-shaped Oreos!

Have you ever thought about making oreo cookies?
Well, they are fairly easy! I used Thomas Keller's (of Bouchon Bakery) Oreo cookie recipe. The dough initally turns out extremely crumbly, but it will come together, so DO NOT ADD WATER. All you need to do is to grab the crumbles by the handful, and knead it gently until it comes together. DO NOT over-work the dough or the cookies will expand and puff as they bake.

In terms of the filling, I did not go with the one provided by TKO. Instead, I tried coming up with a filling more similar to the pacakged oreo cookies-- I whipped up a stick of butter, a cup and a half of powdered sugar, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, a drop of no-taste red food coloring, and a few drops of lemon juice to cut down on the sweetness. If you want the filling to be thicker, you can add more powdered sugar to your liking. Also, you can feel free to swap out a part of the butter with shortening (I know, I know. I'm not an avid fan of shortening, but when it comes to oreos... they are kind of... essential.).

Like the picture above, you can enjoy the cookies sandwiched with the filling, or, you can enjoy it with ice cream. I devoured one with coffee ice cream! : )



For my friend's bake sale, I individually wrapped the cookies in small cellophane bags and tied them with a magenta pink ribbon. My oreo filling was soft, and I did not want it to smear all over the cellophane, so I made a glaze out of powdered sugar, a touch of water, and cocoa powder to seal the sides with a small spatula. I then gently rolled the cookies over sprinkles, and set them on a cooling rack until firm.



Cute, right? : ) They were scrumptious.


Happy Valentine's Day! I hope everyone has a safe and romantic holiday!

Miso Bakes is now on Facebook!
'Like' her page for regular updates!

3 comments:

  1. These are so gorgeous. Way better looking that the plain Oreos from the store. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! Adding this recipe to my list of things to make next Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Valentine's Day desserts, and yours looks so, so delicious! You should really consider submitting this to Recipe4Living's Valentine's Day Recipe Contest! You could win a GreenPan Stainless Steel Todd's Perfect Gourmet Cook Set!

    ReplyDelete